Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Speed Reading, Week 2 Finished!

I did a speed reading test on the morning of Monday the 19th before starting my first lesson of the week. The supposed reading speed was 295 WPM, but I admit my comprehension was low. I’m focusing less on comprehension and more on technique. I’m attempting to consistently stop verbalizing the words I read in my head and just let my eyes see the word and my brain register the meaning.

  • Monday:
    • Morning: Lesson 3 Completed
    • Evening: Lesson 3 Completed
  • Tuesday:
    • Morning: Lesson 4 Completed
    • Evening: Missed
  • Wednesday:
    • Morning: Missed
    • Evening: Missed
  • Thursday:
    • Morning: Lesson 4 completed
    • Evening: Missed
  • Friday:
    • Morning: Missed
    • Evening: Missed
  • Saturday:
    • Morning: Lesson 4 completed
    • Evening:

Wow. I got a weeklong pass on the FAIL train. Two all-day seminars back-to-back on Tuesday and Wednesday threw a wrench into my plans. Thursday, Friday and Saturday were exercises in mediocrity and failed time management.

It’s hard to leave for a day or two and then come back. You really need to keep on it each and every day, twice a day. The ability to keep up a steady reading pace and simultaneously assimilate all of the information (which is now coming in through your eyes at a faster rate than you’re accustomed to) is a draining activity and needs to be consistently done. Much like weight training.

With good intentions, and hopefully more disciplined time management and prioritization, I enter week 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment